Letters of Recommendations
I get an increased number of requests for letters of recommendation every other day. While I really thank you for considering me for your recommendation, please consider following before placing a recommendation request:
- I should know you well. Preferably, you should have worked under my supervision for at-least six months to a year with quantifiable output. Exceptions to this rule are only for exceptional performance working/taking class with me.
- If you are seeking admission at a research group/institute/lab of repute, you must be willing to act as a gateway between both research groups to further expand the linkage on gaining acceptance. The idea is to create opportunity by ensuring back knowledge propagation for your research colleagues & friends and benefit from each other's strengths.
- We only provide directed recommendations, i.e. marked to specific department/universities.
- We expect you to inform us once you gain admission based on our recommendation and where you are heading to with email/phone contact information sent to us on arrival. We further expect you to display high level of professionalism and excellent work ethic at the new host institution. To us, kindly promptly respond to our communication while with new affiliation and update on any achievements thereof.
- Please discuss, beforehand, if you have any additional requirements/constraints that must be taken care of in the recommendation.
What You Need to Do
- Provide a one page bulletted summary (editable word document/pdf) on how I know you, work you have done with me, any achievements during our affiliation, your personal strengths assessment in one paragraph, class/group standing and any other thing you may like to highlight
- Please provide a link to recommendation page or ask the host institution for same. In case you need a hard-copy of recommendation, please provide an envelope bearing the address of institution recommendation is addressed to. Please ensure my correct contact information (see my webpage) is put on the back of the envelope.
- We prefer all of your recommendations coming together on one date. Its quite challenging for us to revisit a single students recommendation every other week as we would like to move on to next student.
Back to my homepage